This weekend we celebrated Leon’s 5th birthday with a mini cake for the birthday boy. This recipe from Good Food Stories has three simple ingredients: tuna, chicken and sweet potatoes. They’re yummy, healthy and feline tested and approved for a great celebration.
5-ounce can white albacore tuna (in water, no salt added)
5 oz can finely diced cooked chicken breast (in water, no salt added)
1/2 cup pure sweet potato puree
mashed potatoes for frosting
HOW TO MAKE THE PATTIES
1. Line a small rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper.
2. Open the tuna can. Drain the tuna of any water, then scoop the tuna into a medium mixing bowl. Flake the tuna into small bits.
3. Add the diced chicken to the bowl, then stir in the sweet potato puree, adding just enough to keep the mixture together. You may not need the entire 1/2 cup.
4. If your sweet potato is a little loose and watery, add rice flour 1 teaspoon at a time to soak up the excess moisture.
5. I found that the cleanest way to make the the perfect little round patty was to stuff some of the mixture in my 1/2 cup measuring cup and let it slide out.
6. To frost the cake, I used a filled pastry bag with mashed potatoes fitted with a large piping tip.
Note: Not all cats like mashed potatoes. Luna liked it more than the cake itself and Leon seemed offended by it. You may want to give them a taste test first.
Makes approximately 4 large patties.
Freeze for 1 hour until solid, then transfer to a ziptop bag or freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
For the best health and safety benefits, always opt for fresh fruits over canned or packaged varieties.
The above recipe is for treats only and should not replace your cat’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes to your cat’s diet